THE WESTERN STAR 4800 DELIVERS WHAT YOU NEED
The Western Star 4800 offers incredible performance and durability in a 109-inch BBC package, meaning you can get that performance in and out of tight spots. Featuring a streamlined cab, Western Star's legendary toughness, and loads of options, you can build a 4800 to suit any job – no matter how tight the site.
THREADED SPRING PINS
Greaseable threads prevent spring from moving side to side within the shackle. Our exclusive design threads the pins directly into the spring bushing providing much more stability, improved feel and overall handling.
LARGE DOOR OPENING
Makes it easier and safer to get in and out of the truck.
FORGED STEEL DOOR HINGES
Internally mounted to protect from the elements. Greater durability to prevent sagging -- a common problem with piano hinges.
DOUBLE DOOR SEALS
Both the door and the cab have a weather seal that covers its perimeter. This double seal helps maximize the efficiency of our HVAC systems and provides a quieter ride.
GRADE 8 FRAME FASTENERS
Grade 8 fasteners allow for optional equipment to be installed on the frame, and retorqued in the field as needed.
WIRING STAND OFFS
Our wiring and air bundles are supported off the frame rail. This allows debris to pass behind the bundle, eliminating the possibility of abrasion which can lead to electrical and air failures.
LASER-ETCHED CHASSIS WIRING
Laser etching and color coding ensures ability to troubleshoot wiring issues for the life of the truck.
CAB INSULATION AND SOUNDPROOFING
Barium insulation is placed between the double walled steel cab. This increases the thermal and acoustic insulation of the truck. Our floor pads are thick which further improves the quiet ride of a Western Star.
IN-CAB BLOWER MOTOR
Protected in the cab rather than being on the firewall and exposed to elements.
MARINE-GRADE ROCKER SWITCHES
Large waterproof switches are easy to operate with gloves on and are protected from water and salt which can create shorts.
Suspended brake, clutch and accelerator pedals are easy to clean, and prevent objects from becoming lodged behind pedals -- a great safety feature.
POWER DISTRIBUTION MODULES
The PDM and fuses are easily accessed by removing a panel on the passenger side dash. This allows you to sit comfortably in the cab when working on fuses rather than accessing them in an exterior location.
Integral to the front closing cross member, our towing pins withstand 65k lbs of line pull from a 45 degree angle. The centralized pin equalizes pulling force between the frame rails.
OUTBOARD CAB MOUNTS
Placed as wide as possible to maximize lateral stability. Provides a more comfortable ride on rough terrain and reduces body roll in turns.
Provides quick access to wiring for service.
REPLACEABLE GRILLE BARS
Bars can be replaced one a time rather than having to replace a complete grille.
NODAL ENGINE MOUNTING
Our power units are mounted on clutch housing instead of fly wheel housing which supports the power unit closer to the output shaft of the transmission where the torque is greater. This results in less frame flex and a better ride.
J-BRACKETS AND RIBBED STRAPS
Western Star fuel tanks ride on j-brackets and are held onto the bracket with steel straps that have ribbed isolators which increases the grip on the tank to prevent tank roll.
HONEYCOMB SLEEPER WALL
A polypropylene honeycomb material is sandwiched between two sheets of aluminum. This construction results in the strongest and lightest sleeper material in the industry. Airplane bulkheads use this same strong, lightweight construction.
RECESSED BOLT HEADS
For fifth wheel applications, the closing cross member fasteners are recessed in the frame rail to eliminate the protrusion of a bolt head which can cause damage to trailers and the chassis. Closing cross members and frame rails are tapered with recessed bolts to give a smooth transition for trailers, and reduce the risk of chassis and trailer damage.
COPPER BRASS RADIATOR
Provides superior heat transfer and is repairable in the field. Bolted steel tanks are repairable and rubber-isolated frame mounts protect against twisting.
SEVERE SERVICE CAB OPTION
Extra gussets are welded into the cab to provide extra strength for severe service application.
Tough on the outside. Very
comfortable on the inside.
1. Standard galvannealed steel with roped-in windshield
2. Severe Duty galvannealed steel with roped-in or bonded windshield
1. Fiberglass traditional non-sloping hood (SF)
2. Supervisibility fiberglass hood (SB)
Detroit™ DD13,® 12.8L, 350-505HP, 1250-1850lb-ft.
1. Eaton Fuller 10-, 13-, 15- and 18-speed
2. Eaton Fuller UltraShift PLUS
3. Allison Automatic 3000, 4000, 4500, 4700
1. Detroit® single 12,000-23,000 lbs
2. Meritor single 12,000-22,000 lbs
1. Detroit™ tandem 40,000-46,000 lbs
2. Meritor single 23,000-30,000 lbs
3. Meritor tandem 40,000-70,000 lbs
4. Meritor tridem 69,000-77,000 lbs
5. Sisu tandem 70,000 lbs
6. Sisu tridem 105,600 lbs
1. Taperleaf 12,000-20,000 lbs
2. Flatleaf 14,600-23,000 lbs
1. AirLiner® 23,000-69,000 lbs
2. Hendrickson 40,000-70,000 lbs
3. Chalmers 46,000-52,000 lbs
4. Neway 46,000-78,000 lbs
5. Reyco 23,000-31,000 lbs
6. TufTrac® 40,000-52,000 lbs
1. WABCO® 4S/4M and 6S/6M Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) with and without traction enhancement
2. Air Disc Brakes
Roll stability control
1. Single-channel @ 2.5MM RBM
2. Double-channel @ 3.2MM RBM and 4.5MM RBM
3. Triple-channel @ 5.6MM RBM
4. Partial frame liners available for increased RBM in specific areas. See dealer for details.
1. Aluminum 25" cylindrical 60-150 gallon (227-567 liter) RH or LH
2. Aluminum 23" cylindrical 50-150 gallon (189-567 liter) RH or LH
3. Combination fuel/hydraulic tanks available in various sizes
6, 13 and 23 gallon (23, 49 and 87 liter)
Access the latest 4800 product information, videos and images.